Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Nathan Larson: A Word from an MKC Intern

By Nathan Larson, MKC intern

My name is Nathan Larson and I am the MKC agronomy and sales intern at the Groveland location.  I am going to be a senior at Kansas State University this fall and I am majoring in agronomy with an emphasis in consulting and production. I grew up on a small farm near Kensington, Kan., consisting mostly of livestock and wheat. Growing up on a farm is where my love and passion for agriculture began and why I decided to major in agronomy. 

This summer, I have been all over central Kansas getting the opportunity to do just about anything under the sun. I have helped out the agronomy department at Groveland when I can, but most of my time has been dedicated to scouting fields and relaying what I find to the MKC field marketers. When I am not scouting fields, I am working on my summer project which is over nitrogen stabilizers in corn and grain sorghum. I am trying to determine how well they work and what the return on investment would be for a producer. Trying to figure all this out requires me to take soil and tissue samples every two weeks.  In the coming weeks I will also have to do yield estimates for the fields being tested.       

When I started college, I had no clue what area of agriculture I wanted to pursue a career path in but then I came to MKC. Last summer, during my internship with MKC, I did a little bit of everything from grain to agronomy to precision agriculture to field marketing, trying to figure out what I exactly wanted to do. It was a great experience and by the end I decided I wanted to learn more about being a field marketer. Fast forward to this summer. It has been another great experience and I have focused more time on what I eventually see myself doing for a career in the future. Being at MKC has really taught me a lot and I look forward to what the rest of my summer holds.

Sincerely,
Nathan Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment