Monday, June 29, 2015

Arissa Moyer: A Word from an MKC Summer Intern

By Arisa Moyer, MKC accounting intern

As MKC strives to share growth and success with their customers, they are also helping young men and women grow their professional careers. Through their internship program, MKC is helping students find their niche in the agricultural industry.

This summer, I am working at the Moundridge office as the accounting intern. I have been interested in agricultural finance since high school, however, I did not realize the job opportunities outside of agricultural lending. The internship program has offered me many opportunities to learn a variety of accounting skills that are applicable in the agricultural workforce. As a senior at Kansas State University, majoring in agribusiness and a minor in leadership studies, this internship is what I needed to help gain insight into the many career options.

As the accounting intern, my goal this summer is to understand and analyze financial accounting and reporting. To accomplish this, I’m working on a company fuel audit and gathering and entering account payable discounts, automated clearing house documentation and W-9 information.  In addition, I have learned how to complete daily tasks of such as keying in accounts payables, printing checks and processing customer payments.
As the summer continues, I will be completing the monthly expense reports for the summer months and distributing monthly manager reports. 

I have also been to various locations to learn how MKC uses the perpetual inventory system. I learned how to help locations keep accurate records of inventory, while catching any billing or product errors. One really has to utilize their problem solving skills to find inventory errors!

Growing up on a cattle ranch north of Emporia, Kan., my agronomic and cooperative system knowledge wasn’t very deep. So in addition to my individual project, I have been able to go to the WinField Answer Plot, tour the MKC Groveland agronomy facilities and learn how farmers are using precision agriculture today. I am looking forward to more experiences to allow me to gain a better understanding of this sector of agriculture.

After the workday is over, I enjoy checking out local restaurants and shops in central Kansas suggested by the administration office staff. It has been fun to explore rural Kansas. Everyone I work with at MKC has been so welcoming and does not mind me asking a lot of questions.  I look forward to what the rest of the summer holds!

Sincerely,
Arissa Moyer

No comments:

Post a Comment